Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Blog Post #1: Morning Meetings

Teachers take the time to do morning meetings because they notice a difference in their classroom. Teachers believe that because of morning meetings other areas of teaching are affected in a positive way. They have noticed higher scores that other teachers who don't do morning meetings. Morning meetings help teachers create a positive environment in their classroom. Students can feel a sense of community in their classroom which helps them to feel safe. It is common knowledge that students who feel safe in a classroom are better able to learn material.

I have never seen a morning meeting like that discussed in the packet on canvas. The only ones that I think I saw involved the teacher asking a question and students answering via a tally on the whiteboard. It seems that if it is done as outlined in the text actual changes in the classroom will occur. I think that my classroom would benefit from morning meetings. My only concern would be that I would be able to implement it in such a way that it would actually be beneficial to my students and not a waste of instructional time.

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection, Jaclyn. You seem to understand the wonderful benefits that are possible... I hope you'll have the opportunity to try it out. It really is all up to the teacher... as to whether it's a waste of time or a powerful element in the school day. 3 pts.

    ReplyDelete